It has been decided to form a coordination committee in all the districts of Tamil Nadu to monitor and develop mental health activities at the district level. Aforesaid committee will be named as District Mental Health Coordination Committees. The District Collector will be the chairman for the committee and the members are Joint Director of Health Services, Deputy Director of Public Health, District Rehabilitation Officer, Two representatives from NGOs working in the field of mental health and one relative of a mentally ill person. Following are the guidelines for formation of the District Mental Health Coordination Committees.
1. District Mental Health Coordination Committees: The Tamil Nadu State Mental Health Authority shall cause the appointment by the State Government, District Mental Health Coordination Committee in each district in Tamil Nadu to oversee, guide and coordinate mental health related activities in their respective districts to achieve the objectives of the Mental Health Act,
2. Aim and Objectives District Mental Health Coordination Committees
3. Constitution of District Mental Health Coordination Committees
4. Appointment of non-official members:
The Government shall appoint a non-official members once in three years based on recommendation of the District Mental Health Coordination Committees made after its first meeting.
5. Secretary to District Mental Health Coordination Committees:
One of the psychiatrist members shall be appointed as the part secretary, by the chairman, as soon as a new committee is constituted,
6. Functions of the Secretary to District Mental Health Coordination Committees: The Secretary shall Co-ordinate the functioning of committee implement resolutions and decisions of the committee and do all such executive duties to realise the objectives of the committee. He shall maintain minutes of the meetings, and also prepare reports of activities for presentation during committee meetings.
7. Term of Office: Term of office of the secretary shall be for three years, In case the secretary for personal reasons or for the reason of being transferred by government or resigns, the chairman shall appoint a new secretary from among psychiatrist-members of the board for the remaining portion of three-year tenure,
8. Meetings of District Mental Health Coordination Committees:
The District Mental Health Coordination Committees shall meet at least twice in a year Further meetings shall be held as and when needed as decided by the Chairman on the basis of request by members
9. Report of the District Mental Health Coordination Committees
Minutes of the meeting and half yearly performance report in triplicate should be sent to the Tamil Nadu State Mental Health Authority